Jarret Kenke of Saskatoon is the recipient of the Sask Sport July Athlete of the Month Award. He was nominated by Canoe Kayak Saskatchewan.
Jarret won silver in the men’s K2 1000m and placed 4th in the men’s K4 500m at the Pan American Games in Lima, Peru. There were 41 countries at this competition.
The other outstanding nominees were:
- Courtney Hufsmith, Saskatoon, athletics – won bronze in the 1500m at the Summer Universiade in Napoli, Italy, and set a new Sask Athletics record.
- Julee Stewart, Regina, baton twirling – won a gold medal in adult solo, adult medley, adult solo dance, adult 3 baton, adult 2 baton and senior freestyle at the Canadian Baton Twirling Championships. She also won four Grand National titles.
- Lila Stewart, Regina, diving –at the Junior Development National Championships, she won gold in tower, silver in 1m, and bronze in 3m. Stewart was also named to the Canadian Junior Pan Am National Team.
- Danny Klughart, Prince Albert, golf – won the Scotia Wealth Management Saskatoon Amateur Golf Championships, the Saskatchewan Amateur Men’s Championships, and the Saskatchewan Mid-Amateur Men’s Championships, where he was named provincial champion.
- Emma Spence, Regina, swimming – won gold in the 200m breaststroke and placed 4th in the 200m individual medley at the Canadian Junior Swimming Championships. She also won gold in 3 events, two silver and a bronze at Long Course Provincial ManSask Championships.