A world championship record and gold medal performance in the 100-metre backstroke at the 2022 Para Swimming World Championships earned Saskatoon’s Shelby Newkirk the Sask Sport Athlete of the Month for June.
Newkirk, who trains with the Saskatoon Lasers Swim Club, swam a time of 1:20.96 in the women’s 100-m backstroke S6, which was one of three world championship records the Canadian Para swimming team set during the seven-day event.
Additionally, Newkirk set another four Canadian records at the competition, one as an individual and three as part of a team. This included a personal best time of 1:15.21 in the women’s 100-m freestyle S6 helping her to finish in fourth place. With her teammates, she swam a time of 3:40.02 in the mixed 4×50-m medley relay (20 point classification), finished the 4×100-m free relay (34 points) with a time of 4:11.82, as well as the mixed 4×100-m medley relay (34 points) with a time of 4:43.92.
The event was held June 12-18 at the Funchal Swimming Pool Complex in Madeira Island, Portugal and attracted a field of athletes from 59 countries.
Newkirk was nominated by Swim Saskatchewan.
- Isabella Brown, Weightlifting, nominated by Saskatchewan Weightlifting Association
- Fergus English, Cycling, nominated by Sask Cycling
- Holly Kozan, Ringette, nominated by Ringette Saskatchewan/Ringette Canada
- Sarah and Alexa Smith, Beach Volleyball, nominated by family, supported by Sask Volleyball
- SPS Athlete Development Trade Team, Cycling, nominated by SPS Athlete Development
- Jessica Frotten, Athletics, nominated by Saskatchewan Athletics and Saskatchewan Wheelchair Sports Association