A silver-medal finish at the Commonwealth Games has earned Alexis Ashworth the Sask Sport Athlete of the Month for August.
Competing in the 71-kilogram weight category in Olympic weightlifting, Ashworth lifted 91-kg in the snatch and 123-kg in the clean and jerk for a combined total of 214-kg for the second place finish.
After taking up the sport just three years ago, the Commonwealth Games was the first international event for Ashworth, who hails from Oungre, Sask. Heading into the event, she was ranked No. 1 in Canada after her performance at the 2022 Canadian Invitational, an International Weightlifting Federation-sanctioned event and also Commonwealth Games qualifier which was held in February in Scarborough, Ont.
The 2022 Commonwealth Games took place in Birmingham, England from July 28 to August 8.
Ashworth was nominated by the Saskatchewan Weightlifting Association.
- Bradyn Giraudier, Athletics, Nominated by Special Olympics Saskatchewan
- Pepper Howe, Rowing, Nominated by the Saskatchewan Rowing Association
- Hannah Ouellette, Swimming, Nominated by Swim Saskatchewan
- Savannah Sutherland, Athletics, Nominated by Saskatchewan Athletics
- Saskatchewan High Performance Target Shooting Team, Target Shooting, Nominated by the Saskatchewan Target Shooting Association